Study Permit and Study Visa

Study Permit and Study Visa


A study permit is a document issued by IRCC that serves as permission for international students to study in Canada. Foreign students cannot study at any program longer than 6 months in Canada without getting a valid study permit. The duration of the validity of a study permit corresponds to the length of the program of studies plus 90 days following program completion or the expiry date of the student’s passport, whichever occurs first.

Student Visa is a sub-category of Temporary Resident Visas. This type of visa allows students to stay and study in Canada, issued for multiple entries. The duration of the validity of the visa corresponds to the duration of study permit or validity of passport

Foreign nationals may Study Permit and Temporary Resident Visa in order to study in Canada. Study Permit holder may study programs that are longer than 6 months. The duration of validity may vary depending on the personal situation of the applicant and the length of the program. Temporary Resident Visa allows international students to re-entry Canada during their study in Canada, and its validity duration equals to the duration of the study permit or passport.

Study Permit and Visa Criteria:

  1. Be accepted by a Canadian designated learning institution
  2. Have enough funds to support their study and stay in Canada
  3. International Students under 17 may need to have a Canadian guardian designated by parents
  4. Pass the immigration medical exam
  5. Have no criminal record

Study Direct Stream Criteria:

  1. Be a legal resident living in one of the following countries: China, India, Morocco, Pakistan, the Philippines, Senegal or Vietnam
  2. Provide a copy of a letter of acceptance from a Canadian Designated Learning Institution
  3. Proof of Upfront medical exam
  4. A Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) of $10,000
  5. Proof of payment of first year’s study tuition fee
  6. IELTS Score and each band at least 6 in English or NCLC 7 for French

Study Permit Extension Criteria:

  1. Be enrolled in Canadian designated learning institutions
  2. Have enough funds to support their study and stay in Canada

road_to_canada 联系我们