The Self-Employed Program seeks to bring people who will become self-employed in Canada. They must have relevant experience in cultural activities or athletics and intend and be able to make a significant contribution to the cultural athletic life of Canada. Their education background, employment experience, age, language proficiency and adaptability will be assessed, and they may apply with a score exceeding 35. There is no regulated minimum net worth requirement for this Program. However, self-employed applicants must demonstrate that they have sufficient funds to settle in Canada along with their dependents and finance the work for which their selection is based.
Self-Employed Program Eligibility:
- Have taken part in cultural activities or athletics at a world-class level or been self-employed in cultural activities or athletics
- Get a minimum of 35 points on point system
- Intend and be able to be self-employed in Canada
- Meet medical, security and other conditions
IRCC will assess the applicant on selection criteria that include their:
- language abilities
Eligible occupations Under the Self-Employed Persons Program include:
- 5111 Librarians
- 5112 Conservators and curators
- 5113 Archivists
- 5121 Authors and writers
- 5122 Editors
- 5123 Journalists
- 5125 Translators, terminologists and interpreters
- 5131 Producers, directors, choreographers and related occupations
- 5132 Conductors, composers and arrangers
- 5133 Musicians and singers
- 5134 Dancers
- 5135 Actors and comedians
- 5136 Painters, sculptors and other visual artists
- 5211 Library and public archive technicians
- 5212 Technical occupations related to museums and art galleries
- 5221 Photographers
- 5222 Film and video camera operators
- 5223 Graphic arts technicians
- 5224 Broadcast technicians
- 5225 Audio and video recording technicians
- 5226 Other technical and co-ordinating occupations in motion pictures, broadcasting and the performing arts
- 5227 Support occupations in motion pictures, broadcasting, photography and the performing arts
- 5231 Announcers and other broadcasters
- 5232 Other performers, n.e.c.
- 5241 Graphic designers and illustrators
- 5242 Interior designers and interior decorators
- 5243 Theatre, fashion, exhibit and other creative designers
- 5244 Artisans and craftspersons
- 5245 Patternmakers – textile, leather and fur products
- 5251 Athletes
- 5252 Coaches
- 5253 Sports officials and referees
- 5254 Program leaders and instructors in recreation, sport and fitness
51111 authors and writers
53121 creative and performing artists
53122 painters, sculptors and other visual artists
53111 technical support and other jobs in motion pictures
53123 creative designers and
53202 Sports officials and referees
54100 Program leaders and instructors in recreation, sport and fitness
Your experience is relevant if you have:
- taken part in cultural activities or athletics at a world-class level or
- been a self-employed person in cultural activities or athletics
Relevant experience for a self-employed person means at least two years of experience.
It must be during the period starting 5 years before the day you apply and ending on the day we make a decision on your application.
You can get more points if you have 3, 4, or 5 years of experience.
At a minimum, your experience must be:
for cultural activities:
a.2 one-year periods being self-employed in cultural activities, or
b.2 one-year periods participating at a world-class level in cultural activities, or
c.a combination of a one-year period described in (a), and a one-year period described in (b)
a.2 one-year periods being self-employed in athletics, or
b.2 one-year periods participating at a world class level in athletics, or
c.a combination of a one-year period described in (a) above, and a one-year period described in (b) above
Selection Criteria: The evaluation criteria and scoring factors are as follows:
- Work Experience: Up to 35 points
- Educational Background: Up to 25 points
- Age: Up to 10 points
- Language Proficiency: Up to 24 points
- Adaptability: Up to 6 points
Frequently Asked Questions:
Is the Self-Employed Immigration a one-step immigration program?
Yes, it is a one-step program to obtain the Maple Leaf card and achieve family immigration.
Does the Self-Employed Immigration program require provincial nomination?
No, it does not. Self-Employed Immigration is a federal program and does not require provincial nomination. It falls under the economic class immigration category.
What is the processing time for the program?
According to the latest official website information, the program requires approximately 53 months of processing time, including the time needed for biometric information submission.